Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The trim

I decided it was time to get my hair cut. I had a meeting with Dr. Sun Jian at Fudan, and I wanted to look presentable. So Paige and I ventured out around the corner to place that looked clean and decent. The sign in the window showed a list of prices. They were high for Shanghai: nearly 20 dollars; but since I pay over twice that in St. Louis, and I wanted to look my best...

So we went inside. I sat down, Paige at my side, and I asked how much, because I didn't want to get any confusion up front. The woman brought the calculator -- the vendors gasp when I pull out my OWN calculator, which I do, but I want them to know I came to bargain! -- and she typed in 15. Paige and I huddled; clearly she had dropped a zero off the end, but this was good news, the price in the window and price inside were different. I was looking at more like 17 dollars, not twenty. I sat down. I received a LONG, double wash, with lots of pleasant head massage (though no back massage as Marcelle had reported; and no Q-tip therapy to the ears); then a LONG warm rinse, and finally I was delivered to my male cutter. He took his time, and he seemed to know what he was doing. I have curly hair and it's not the easiest to cut so I came prepared to be very forgiving; but he was doing a good job.

Twenty minutes later, the cut was a CUT. We were done.
I went to the counter. They presented me with the bill: 7.5 RMB for the wash; 7.5 RMB for the cut. Total: 15 RMB, exactly as the pleasant woman had first dialed into her calculator forty-five minutes earlier. Paige was by my side, elbowing me. I paid up.

15 RMB is roughly $2.00 US dollars. I had a wash and a cut for 2 dollars. Total. And it looks just about the same as any cut I get in the states, to be honest. Did I mention I have curly hair and it's not the easiest to cut? Two dollars. I said to Paige, "At these rates, I'm getting a hair cut every week." And I just might.

My haircut:




* * *
My meeting Dr. Sun at Fudan went very well. I start teaching in two weeks, and will teach each week all year. We get January off for holiday. I'll have 33 students, and then a different 30 after the January break. It's the first time creative writing has been taught in English at Fudan University and my sponsors are quite excited by the idea; as am I. I'm working up my lessons as I write this. It's going to be an interesting year.
Exactly why we came here.

I think...


(Ridley)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog. Keep the pictures comming and news. Have you considered making this year's journey into a book with pics and more dialog? Would make a great book.


CheryeB

Ridley said...

I've asked a publisher I know. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

Great photos, and all of the stories you have told.
Fudan University will have the best teacher around.

The 33 students are so lucky to have creative writing taught by you.
Best of Luck
Ramonda