Monday, March 16, 2009

Back with more adventure

I am going to load you up with a bunch of photos, which I have been neglecting over the past couple of weeks.

First, Storey and Ridley with the Dr. Seuss hat she made in Kindergarten ( teacher
switch day on Dr. Seuss day - how convenient!) Pretty cute.I went on a walk in our neighborhood to find a shop that makes all kinds of products covered in silk. I was on a particular search for DVD cases. The address led me to believe it was around Jing'An Temple, about a 15 minute walk from our house. After reaching the Temple, I walked another 15 minutes and finally called the shop. I was going in the right direction - keep going. Another 20 minutes later I found this alley. It was somewhere down here.....
Aahhh. The right number on this building.....
Looking a little industrial to me at the moment. You never know what you find around a corner, up some stairs.......
I was actually directed to this elevator by the guard at the front door.
Now here's a job. She gets lots of reading done. At least she knew where to take me. The moment she saw me, she said fifth floor - not quite like that though. In Chinese. That gave me confidence to continue. I was in the right place.
Bad picture, but I arrived to this room filled to overflowing with all kinds of albums, picture frames, journals, DVD boxes, glasses cases, etc. I found my needs and more, of course, and found that my whole afternoon was gone. It just takes longer to do things around here! One activity a day.
Wednesday is mahjong day at Julie's. She has moved from Puxi and the Xintiandi area to across the river and the Lujiazhui financial center. We decided to meet for lunch in the Shanghai World Financial Center. I grabbed a photo as I was walking up. The JinMao Tower is in the foreground, the SWFC in the back. You have seen this building before when Julie and I went up to the observation deck (highest in the world)which sits right above the can opener hole. That is its nickname around here: the Can Opener.
A little closer shot of where I am heading - into the clouds.

After many security guards and much routing around, I finally was able to enter the Marriot lobby that has the elevator to the restaurant on the 100th floor. Hmmm, pay 150 kuai to go to the observation deck or go to the restaurant for a lovely lunch for about the same price?
With these lovely mahjong ladies waiting, no contest: Aunt Kay (Julie's husband's aunt who was visiting), Julie, Mary and a beautiful view out the windows. I am hooked on mahjong. Hoping to bring that back with me!

No comments: