Monday, March 2, 2009

Queen for a day!

Thanks to my friend Julie, I got to be queen for a day - or at least an afternoon! These lovely ladies (in waiting?) took me to a perfect Italian lunch in Taikong Lu, the maze of boutiques and restaurants that I love to meander.
Julie in front next to me, and Kathleen and Mary. Julie is from Minnesota and knows my friend Nancy. Mary is from Twin Falls, Idaho, lived in St. Louis for many years, and I meet them in Shanghai! It is a small world. Kathleen is from New Mexico but has roamed the States, last in Dallas.
After a delightful lunch on another rainy day, we headed to a luxurious facial at Diva Life - a garden house done up in purple. Everything purple. What a treat.
Sweet Julie.
Saturday night we headed out to eat with Julie and Phillip, Phillip's Aunt Kay and Kathleen and her husband Mike (taking the photo). We started out at the Glamour Bar, definitely worthy of its name, on the Bund overlooking the Huangpu and Pudong lights, and then progressed across the street to Jean Georges, a beautiful French restaurant, also overlooking the lights. We had our own room with two semi-circle tables we had them put together to try and assimilate a round table. It was so Chinese!
My darling husband who arranged all these lunches and dinners for me. We had the tasting menu at Jean Georges which was French and oh so Chinese at the same time. (Meaning lots of fish and no meat. Very different from a mid-western French tasting menu!) You see us at the end of the meal, so happlily replete with our final dessert course. We started with:
1. a small compote of almond puree with a shaving of truffle on top
2. a poached egg, in the shell, with vodka cream and caviar on top (oh my!)
3. succulent scallops with a raisin caper emulsified reduction (can that be correct?)
4. delicious soup with frogs legs - BIG frogs legs! could only have been a toad!
5. turbo with a tomato zucchini salsa on top
6. lobster on toast, and more lobster
7. squab with fois gras to the side - oh my, again!
8. dessert, as shown above - a collection of 4 varieties of pear - frozen, pastry encrusted, ice cream, flanish. The other choice was chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. A warm chocolate cake was brought out to me, so I had pears and chocolate!
And AFTER all that, a plate of chocolates and homemade marshmallows that were salted. I just looked at those!
Mmmmm. Being queen is good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These photos look a LOT like the delicious Italian place we took the kids when the Walters were in Shanghai with you. So I know you had a yummy lunch!
Laurel

Lightkeeper said...

Marcelle -
What a great blog! Glad to hear you are all doing well! This is Kathy from New Hope from years back. I think of you all often and very fondly!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Such fun to read about your lives.

A belated happy birthday to youuuuuu!! I think about you often.
Margy McKelvie