Friday, June 13, 2008

The Arrival

The tease came complete with Fex Ex ringing the door bell and presenting a package for the wrong address -- this on the day we were told we could expect our China visas. Presto: ten minutes later, a second Fed Ex truck, and this was the one. I waited a few minutes to open the package, and when I did my heart was pounding. Thankfully, all the documents we'd sent were returned to us, including our four passports all with six month visas. So the family is definitely moving to Shanghai. We started the visa process in October. On June 13th, a Friday, just over a month from our scheduled departure date we received the proper visas.

I am to lecture at Fudan University for the year. I will meet in person with department heads the first week of August.

There is an electricity passing around the house. I've heard both the girls whisper, "We're going to China," as this is the first time we've been able to know it's now humanly possible. Internally, I'm churning. All the preparation has been mitigated by the knowledge the visa process could prevent us from going. But now... Where is that pair of socks?


1 comment:

Kate said...

"Neither red tape nor indignity hindered the divine process..." (MBE - Unity of Good)

Of course you are going!!!

YEA!! (for you)...we will miss you...each and all!!

hugs, Kate and family