Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Hardest Things

I think that the hardest thing of leaving for China will be leaving behind all of my friends, family, and pets. Like I already said, my friends have helped me with friendship a lot and and they have taught me so much. I am going to have to go to China and leave behind my friends, my family, and my puppy and dog. Just thinking about having to leave behind my teachers, and my best friends makes me really sad. Last night I had a nightmare about leaving my friends. The hard thing is to know that when you come back, your friends will still be there. When I go to China, I am sure I will have lots of fun, but right now it's hard to think about. My puppy and dog are really hard to leave because I love them so much. Even after having my puppy for a little over a year, he is just warming up to the family and starting to understand that we are always trying to help him. I have had my dog for about six years and she is a very loyal dog that is very obedient and always sad when we leave if even only for a week. My family is all mostly in America and I will have to leave them all for a year. 

My friends are all left back in Idaho or St. Louis and I am really sad to leave them all for a year. These are basically the hardest things about leaving America, but I think the hardest of them all is to leave America which I truly love. I have traveled to many different countries and really loved them all, but I can say that what I found (and this may just apply to me) is that there is no place like America to live. I have never been to China, so I may find this change, but what I find the hardest part of moving is leaving. Leaving America, my friends, my family, and my pets.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Paige...

Whenever I moved, my mommy would remind me that I my heart had a great map for finding "home" wherever I was...it was in hymn 148:

In heavenly love abiding
No change my heart shall fear
For safe is such confiding
For nothing changes here

The storm may roar without me
My heart may low be laid
But God is round about me
And can I be dismayed

Wherever He may guide me
No want shall turn me back
My Shepherd is beside me
And nothing can I lack

His wisdom ever waketh
His sight is never dim
He knows the way He taketh
And I will walk with Him

Green pastures are before me
Which yet I have not seen
Bright skies will soon be o'er me
Where darkest clouds have been

My hope I cannot measure
My path in life is free
My Father has my treasure
And He will walk with me.
by Anna Waring

This is still one of my most favorite prayers whenever I am facing a move or going to a new place.

love you, Kate

Paige said...

thanks kate! have a good summer break that is really helpful!

Anonymous said...

Paige,
I loved reading your words because it gave me the chance to see your beautiful heart and spirit. I know you will miss your friends, your family and your beloved dogs. But you must know they will never be far from you because they will always be in your heart - and you in theirs. You will surely be missed. I'm certain you will return from China with a treasure of memories and new friends and experiences. And when you return to St. Louis next summer you will experience firsthand that true and loving relationships don't ever leave you. I will look forward to reading about all of your adventures to come. Have a wonderful, wonderful trip, Paige.

Much love, Phoebe Welsh

Paige said...

thank you so much phoebe that makes things better. i like to hear that everything will be ok, but with you and kate, you are saying reasons why everything will be ok. thank you

Tyler said...

Hi Paige,

You will do just fine in China.
I'm sure you're going through ups-and-downs. Really excited to go, and then a little nervous about going to some place that's unknown to you.
But, that's what's so thrilling, you're getting an opportunity to go and live in China for a year. Most of us barely ever get out of the state we live in. My 8 year old niece has seen more of the world than I have.
My girlfriend lived in China for a year while her mom introduced western medical technology to a few hospitals, and she loved it. She wants to go back, that's how much she enjoyed it.
She made lots of friends while in China and you will do the same. Your friends here in the states will always be your friends, and that wont change.
I coach swimming and I've had kids that I've worked with for over 10 years who end up moving or taking off to college and I barely ever see them anymore. Although I don't see them much, I get e-mail updates from them often, and when they do pop up and say hi in-person it feels like they haven't been away.
You will always have the internet and e-mail to contact your friends.
As far as the dogs go, I'm with you, I think I would have a more difficult time leaving my cat than not seeing my friends.
Can your puppy fit into one of your bags?
Just kidding, I don't want your dad to hunt me down at one of his signings and string me up to the wall. Take some pictures of your dogs so you you can put them up in your room, and if your taking a lap top upload some video footage of them so you can watch it while your away.
Something you should brush up on before you get to China is your bike riding skills,this will be the most likely way you'll get around.
What a exciting time in your life, and it will be truely an adventure of a lifetime.
All the best wishes for you Paige and your whole family.
Tyler

Also, they just held the Ugliest dog contest for 2008. The winner was Gus from Florida, a three legged, one eyed Chinese crested with skin cancer and tons of drool. You can see pictures from the event and video footage here, this is our local newspaper website
www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080621/NEWS/806210413/1033/NEWS&title=World_s_Ugliest_Dog__Gus - 38k -