Monday, September 1, 2008

We found an indoor "wet" market we had heard about, not far from our house. The first floor had all kinds of meats, dried and VERY fresh, prepared food and some, not much, seafood. The second floor was filled with the most beautiful vegetables, half of which we could not recognize, but we know are delicious, from our restaurant voyages, if we could figure out how to cook them!The eggplant is spectacular. So delicious.
All kinds of peppers, spices, grains, mushrooms.


Modern electronic city! We go in here where there are a million different booths, and find office supplies, bikes, printer cartridges, pots and pans, cameras, computers, tvs, almost anything you could want!
It's really just stuff, stuff, stuff everywhere in this "modern" city.
The first week of school was busy and fun. Storey is still thinking that the teachers are far too strict over here! Paige is having a ball running from class to class and building to building. She has already made some wonderful friends from all over. Her closest friend, right now, is Elmsley who is American but just moved from England. She was born in London and has a lovely accent. I went on an outing yesterday with 3 other women, and Elmsley's mom was there. She went to college and met her husband in Idaho! The other woman I met was born and raised in Twin Falls, Idaho, just down the road from us in Hailey, and then lived in St. Louis for 9 years before heading to Shanghai! The other woman who put the whole event together is from Minnesota, and knows my friend Nancy Erickson because their sons were in school together. What a small world that we all meet here in Shanghai, China!! We took one gals car and driver (how nice) out west to a well known antique furniture warehouse. It has exquisite pieces, is clean, organized (very unlike the others I have been to!) and very expensive. She also doesn't bargain. It is really just for westerners. Fun to see. We then went to the Hongqiao flower market which is endless and amazing. First we walked through plants, bonzai's of every sort, through gorgeous orchids, cut flowers, and then there are shops upon shops of ceramics, silk, fish, home decorations, wrapping goods, ceramic sinks, incense shops. I had a big lesson in bargaining. I thought the prices were amazing, but the gals I was with said they were much more expensive than normal, and we bargained hard for everything, and walked away 80% of the time. That is the key. You can't be too attached to anything. The prices were good, but I guess more than they should be. I did walk away, however, with a gorgeous white orchid, with pot, for 30 rmb - about $4.50. Huge bunches of flowers were 10 rmb for the whole bunch. I had to bargain hard to get the vase with the price of the flowers. You promise to come back and fill up the vase! Bargaining is exhausting! We were there until about 2:30 without lunch, so we ate at about 3 and gave up the fabric mart for another day!

I am off to school for a PAFA meeting - Parents and Friends Association. I am starting my language lessons either today or Thursday, could join the American Women's Club among about 10 other clubs. I think I will just focus on school - for the girls and me. But I was invited to a Wednesday mahjongg group which I will start. Too much to do already!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone,

The produce looks so good. Those tomatoes look huge. The Produce looks so healthy.

Praying for the Barry's safety with those horrible storms. I love Dave Barry's comments about the politics. Too Funny.

Hugs,
Ramonda

Unknown said...

Hey Shanghaied Family!
It sounds like all of you are having very fun in Shanghaied! That is such and amazing oppertunity for you guys and I wish I was there! Well I am excited to read the sequal to the Kingdom Keepers! Hope to all of you soon!

Much Love,
Izzy!