Monday, November 24, 2008

The junk market

The front of YuYuan Gardens where across the street is a building that defies description when you walk in. I'll just have to barrage you with photos.The outside of the building houses little vendor shops who are already prepared for the western winter holidays. Not what I was expecting to see in China. Too American and commercial for me to see Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving! A little too much like Walmart!

Inside the junk market, or commodities market, is everything your little heart could desire - and more. Julie and I met up with Kathleen and Harriet though we couldn't stick together for very long in the crowds and the tiny aisles. Julie looking cute in the sensory overload aisle! It was jammed with locals, and as I understand, is always this busy. Lots of elbow jabbing and just pure shoving out of the way. I love the lack of personal space here. Nothing quite like it.
Harriet and Kathleen in a notions shop, brimming with . . . .
buttons, buttons, buttons of all colors......
sequins, sequins, sequins, sequins of the rainbow variety.
There were also feathers, pins, string, knots of all colors. Storey is hankering to get here pronto! It is just up her alley of what constitutes heaven on earth!
The mahjongg counter. I bought a mahjongg set, not pictured. It is important to get tiles with roman numerals on them or you would be even more lost while trying to play! I went for the tiles which are not quite so white and a little larger. They are caramel color all the way around. I love mahjongg. We have finished our lessons and are beginning our weekly sessions, which will go on hold soon because of the holidays. Hope I still remember how to play when January rolls around. Chinese mahjongg is different than the American version. Are there any Chinese mahjongg players in America??
The bikes and scooters outside of the junk market. A woman was selling cantelope on a stick and I wanted to take a picture and she wouldn't let me, and just started yelling, "Meiguo, meiguo". American, American. Sounded like she was yelling thief! Maybe I was being a thief, trying to steal her soul away through the camera.
I feel like there are so many adventures to be had, so many places to go and things to see. I am not sure one could ever have enough time to see it all!

1 comment:

julieahern said...

I just have two things to say:

1) Most important, it's so much fun to explore Shanghai with Marcelle! There are so many more fabulous adventures to come.

And 2) nearly as important, my butt isn't as huge as it looks in that photo... that's my purse under the poncho (to deter pickpockets in the crowded market).

Seriously, thank you to all the Pearsons' "at home" pals for lending them to Shanghai for a little while.