Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Catching up

It's raining in Shanghai. It sounds wonderful as it softly hits the windows and lane. We had so much rain when we first arrived, and then nothing for weeks. Nothing but beautiful, cool, clear days. (Mom would say it is still a little too warm at times.) I am sitting in Ridley's office knowing that I have tons of pictures from our trip that I haven't gotten onto the blog, but I can't let our continuing lives not be recorded while I am trying to pull the rest of the trip together.

After my Mandarin lesson this morning, I headed over to Julie's where Mary Finnerty met us. (Mary, Julie, Mom with me in the picture.) We picked up mom and headed to the Portman Ritz-Carlton, a Shanghai landmark that sports The City Market (a wonderful market full of needed western items), restaurants - we had lunch at California Pizza Kitchen, and is, of course, of beautiful 5 star hotel. This was the starting point of a wonderful adventure of shopping for the "real" fake handbags. Julie knows the ropes and would take us into a bag shop and then indicate that she wanted to go to the back room. Sometimes we were taken down alleys and into other buildings, or just up steep stairs to the teeny, jammed room full of purses, wallets and sundry other items. It was fabulous. There is major bargaining and walking away required. I found several purses I didn't think I could live without, but walked away as the price was just too much! Who would pay $100 for a Prada????



Our lane has literally transformed this week. The scaffolding was erected one day, the painting began. I took this photo on my way out this morning. This afternoon the painting was complete and the scaffolding down. Ridley won't know his own lane when he returns on Monday!
Grammy Lu in the taxi after a busy day of shopping at the Pearl Market and the Hongqiao flower market. It just wears you down!
Another wild and wonderful pedicab ride down the backstreets between the Pearl Market and flower market. It was a bumpy, tight and giggle producing ride. I got him down half his quoted price at the first try. I think I am becoming successful in this bargaining thing, but when they concede so easily, I know I am still paying too much!

Must help Paige with Mandarin homework. It is REALLY hard. It is the biggest challenge we all have here.

No comments: